Purpose of Position: The Community Services Coordinator is responsible for the planning, implementation, and successful execution of two programs: the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site, and the Homeownership and Financial Counseling Program. Both programs provide services to low and moderate income residents of the White Earth Reservation, Detroit Lakes, MN, and surrounding communities.
Reports to: White Earth Investment Initiative (WEII) President and Board
WEII is a subsidiary of Midwest Minnesota Community Development Corporation (MMCDC), an equal opportunity employer, provider, and lender.
Time Requirement and Pay: Full time position with salary and benefits. An average of 40 hours per week. Some evening and minimal weekend time required. Pay based on experience.
Work Environment: Primary work in an office environment in MMCDC’s Detroit Lakes offices. Some work off site. Requires some travel in Becker, Otter Tail, and Mahnomen counties. Occasional attendance at out-of-state trainings.
Responsibilities of Both Programs:
- 1Create and present program budget and expense reports to WEII board.
- Track data and provide summaries to WEII and MMCDC for reporting, as requested.
- Ensure compliance with grant contracts.
- Work with WEII and MMCDC staff to design and execute a marketing plan.
- Partner with outside agencies, organizations, government or tribal entities, and community partner organizations to execute the programs.
- Ensure compliance with all IRS rules and regulations, including “Quality Site Requirements.”
- Take IRS VITA exams and certify at “Advanced” level. Also must pass the HSA certification.
- Attend IRS VITA training as provided.
- Ensure high quality tax preparation services for clients.
- Recruit new volunteers to become certified as VITA tax preparers through various channels and strategies, as well as retain and engage current VITA volunteers.
- Plan and execute training program for new and returning volunteers.
- Hire, organize, and supervise seasonal employees as site coordinators.
- Explore partnership with White Earth Tribal and Community College and/or M-State Detroit Lakes to offer course credit or internships to students in relevant programs who work with the WEII VITA site.
- Manage client scheduling system.
Homeownership and Financial Counseling Program:
- Attend training, as required, to become certified in Homebuyer Education, Homebuyer Counseling and Foreclosure Counseling.
- Provide professional and confidential one-on-one homebuyer and financial counseling to clients.
- Teach group homebuyer education classes.
- Collect, input, and manage client data and the client management system (CounselorMax).
- Engage clients in long-term counseling, budgeting, and goal setting.
- Recruit new clients to participate in the program, and maintain and develop relationships with community organizations to utilize the services.
- Professional presentation or teaching skills
- Cultural competency
- General comprehension of financial capability
- Dedication to VITA’s mission
- Tax preparation experience, preferred.
- Volunteer or general management experience
- Microsoft Office proficient
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously
- Ability to perform with minimal supervision
- Excellent collaborative skills
- Organized, detail oriented
- Comfortable with community outreach
- Ability to travel, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or 2 year degree with relevant experience.