Free Tax Services
White Earth Tax Sites Open Through April 15
The White Earth Community Tax Service will offer free tax preparation services at the Boys & Girls Club of Detroit Lakes through April 15.
Taxpayers may call 800.752.6579 during business hours or register online for an appointment. Some steps in our tax preparation process will be managed virtually this year, including return preparation and quality review. Taxpayers will meet with WEII tax staff to drop off their tax information and to pick up their completed returns. All taxpayers must sign Form 14446, Consent to Virtual VITA, prior to completing the intake process. Taxpayers who do not wish to provide consent on Form 14446 will not be able to use WEII virtual tax services.
White Earth Investment Initiative will offer free tax preparation at the Boys & Girls Club facility located at 150 Richwood Road in Detroit Lakes from 10am to 3pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from March 9 through April 15. Taxpayers will be health-screened by WEII staff when they enter the facility. Masks are required. Taxpayers should enter Boys & Girls Club through the west entrance.
A self-preparation option is available for taxpayers who do not meet income guidelines for our VITA site. Email support is available from WEII’s IRS-certified tax preparers if taxpayers preparing their own tax returns have questions or need assistance.
The Shooting Star and Old Pine Point School sites are closed for the season.
To take advantage of White Earth Investment Initiative’s free tax-preparation services, residents must meet the following income guidelines:
- $60,000 or less annual adjusted gross income
Unfortunately, we can’t prepare the following returns:
- Military income
- Hurricane survivors
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Rental income
- Employee business expenses
- Moving expenses
- Complex capital gains
- Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments
- Hobby income
- Businesses with employees, inventory, depreciation, businesses with more than $35,000 in expenses
Here’s a list of items that you should bring to your appointment:
Valid picture I.D. (copies are acceptable)
Social Security cards, ITIN cards or letters for all persons listed on the tax return (copies are acceptable)
Prior year’s tax returns
Written verification of bank routing and accounting numbers for direct deposit (voided check, bank statement or other document from your bank showing your bank routing and account number)
Income statements or forms:
- Wages from each job (W-2)
- Interest (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
- Retirement plans (Form 1099-R)
- Gambling winnings (Form 1099-2G)
- Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
- Social Security benefits (Form SSA)
- Year-end income statements from MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veterans’ benefits and workers compensation
- Education expenses* you paid for your children in grades K-12 (e.g., tutoring, rental/purchase of instruments, music lessons, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Tuition expenses you paid to attend a university or technical college (Form 1098-T)
- Interest you paid on student loans (Form 1098-E)
- Day-care expenses you paid for your children; bring provider’s name, address, tax ID or Social Security number
- Charitable donations of cash or non-cash
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid in 2019 (Form 1098) and statement of property tax payable in 2020 mailed by the county in March
- Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord
Health Insurance Forms:
- Form 1095-A if you or your dependents received health insurance through the national or state health insurance marketplace.
*You may be eligible to claim the K-12 education subtraction and/or education credit. Learn more.
White Earth Investment Initiative wants you to be its next tax volunteer.
Why You Should Volunteer
- To increase your own understanding of tax law
- To provide a free service to low- and moderate-income taxpayers
- To serve your community
- To meet new people
- Participate in a 3 night training the first part of January
- Pass the IRS volunteer exam
Volunteers are reimbursed for their travel miles.
Here’s what a few tax volunteers have to say about the free tax services from White Earth Investment Initiative: “We’re always looking for more volunteers. Taxes are fun!” – Dorothy, volunteer “It is enjoyable spending time with other volunteers, getting to know new people and knowing how much people appreciate the service.” – Amber, volunteer “You don’t have to be a tax expert.” – John, volunteer