Free Tax Services
Volunteers Welcome for 2022
All White Earth Community Tax Services are currently closed for the season and will reopen in late January 2022. The IRS officially closed e-file on November 20, 2021 in preparation for the 2022 tax filing season. E-file will reopen in late January 2022. Taxpayers wishing to file a return between November 20, 2021 and late January 2022 may do by filing a paper return through the mail. If taxpayers have questions, please call 218-844-7057. Our tax staff is here to help you all year.
White Earth Investment Initiative is seeking new community members to assist with tax preparation in 2022 at its locations in Mahnomen, Pine Point, and Detroit Lakes. After receiving specialized tax training, volunteers work directly with community members to complete tax returns accurately and confidentially. All training is provided by WEII. In addition, tax volunteers receive reimbursement for mileage to training and the tax sites.
Training dates have not yet been scheduled, but WEII anticipates offering in-person and virtual training. Anyone interested in volunteering at WEII’s tax sites should contact Paul Haarstick at 218-844-7057 or email Paul Haarstick.
To take advantage of White Earth Investment Initiative’s free tax-preparation services, residents must meet the following income guidelines:
- $60,000 or less annual adjusted gross income
Unfortunately, we can’t prepare the following returns:
- Military income
- Hurricane survivors
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Rental income
- Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Etherium, etc)
- Employee business expenses
- Moving expenses
- Complex capital gains
- Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments
- Hobby income
- Businesses with employees, inventory, depreciation, businesses with more than $35,000 in expenses
Here’s a list of items that you should bring to your appointment:
Valid picture I.D. (copies are acceptable)
Social Security cards, ITIN cards or letters for all persons listed on the tax return (copies are acceptable)
Prior year’s tax returns
Written verification of bank routing and accounting numbers for direct deposit (voided check, bank statement or other document from your bank showing your bank routing and account number)
Income statements or forms:
- New for 2022: Advanced Child Tax Credit notice (Letter 6419)
- New for 2022: Third Economic Impact Payment notice (stimulus) (Letter 6475)
- Wages from each job (W-2)
- Interest (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
- Retirement plans (Form 1099-R)
- Gambling winnings (Form W-2G)
- Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
- Social Security benefits (Form SSA)
- Year-end income statements from MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veterans’ benefits and workers compensation
- Education expenses* you paid for your children in grades K-12 (e.g., tutoring, rental/purchase of instruments, music lessons, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Tuition expenses you paid to attend a university or technical college (Form 1098-T)
- Interest you paid on student loans (Form 1098-E)
- Day-care expenses you paid for your children; bring provider’s name, address, tax ID or Social Security number
- Charitable donations of cash or non-cash
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid in 2021 (Form 1098) and statement of property tax payable in 2022 mailed by the county in March
- Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord
Health Insurance Forms:
- Form 1095-A if you or your dependents received health insurance through the national or state health insurance marketplace.
*You may be eligible to claim the K-12 education subtraction and/or education credit. Learn more.
White Earth Investment Initiative wants you to be its next tax volunteer.
Why You Should Volunteer
- To increase your own understanding of tax law
- To provide a free service to low- and moderate-income taxpayers
- To serve your community
- To meet new people
- Participate in in-person, virtual, and/or self-study sessions about tax law
- Pass the IRS volunteer exam
Volunteers are reimbursed for their travel miles.
Here’s what a few tax volunteers have to say about the free tax services from White Earth Investment Initiative: “We’re always looking for more volunteers. Taxes are fun!” – Dorothy, volunteer “It is enjoyable spending time with other volunteers, getting to know new people and knowing how much people appreciate the service.” – Amber, volunteer “You don’t have to be a tax expert.” – John, volunteer