Free Tax Services
2022 White Earth Tax Site Schedule
White Earth Tax Site will reopen January 31 to offer free tax preparation and e-file services to qualifying filers.
The site will continue to observe COVID-19 safety protocols, including requiring staff, volunteers, and all taxpayers to wear masks during intake and follow-up appointments, as well as remote tax return preparation and review by trained staff and volunteers.
Beginning Tuesday, January 18, taxpayers may make appointments by calling MMCDC at 1-800-752-6579 or clicking one of the links below. Refer to the Eligibility and Tax Preparation Checklist on this page to ensure adequate preparation for the appointment.
The sites will close for the Presidents’ Day and Valentine’s Day holidays.
Shooting Star Casino, Hotel and Event Center – 777 Casino Rd SE, Mahnomen, Minn.
The Shooting Star location has moved to the second floor of the Event Center. Please enter through the hotel entrance and follow the signs to the second floor. There is an elevator available.
This site will be open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, January 31 to March 10. Click the link below to make an appointment using the online scheduling software for this location.
Detroit Lakes Boys and Girls Club – 150 Richwood Road, Detroit Lakes, Minn.
This site will be open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, March 15 to April 14. Click the link below to make an appointment using the online scheduling software for this location.
Free Self-Preparation Option Available
For taxpayers who would prefer to prepare their own tax returns or who have situations that would be out of scope for our tax sites, WEII has a free self-preparation option available. Click HERE for more information.
The White Earth Tax Site is a service of White Earth Investment Initiative, with support from the Internal Revenue Service; Minnesota Department of Revenue; Oklahoma Native Assets Coalition; Wells Fargo; Shooting Star Casino, Hotel and Event Center; Midwest Minnesota Community Development Corporation; and others.
For information, contact Paul Haarstick at 218-844-7057 or Email Paul Haarstick.
To take advantage of White Earth Investment Initiative’s free tax-preparation services, residents must meet the following income guidelines:
- $60,000 or less annual adjusted gross income
Unfortunately, we can’t prepare the following returns:
- Military income
- Hurricane survivors
- Mortgage foreclosures
- Rental income
- Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Etherium, etc)
- Employee business expenses
- Moving expenses
- Complex capital gains
- Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments
- Hobby income
- Businesses with employees, inventory, depreciation, businesses with more than $35,000 in expenses
For taxpayers who have situations that would be out of scope for our tax sites, WEII has a free self-preparation option available. Click HERE for more information.
Here’s a list of items that you should bring to your appointment:
Valid picture I.D. (copies are acceptable)
Social Security cards, ITIN cards or letters for all persons listed on the tax return (copies are acceptable)
Prior year’s tax returns
Written verification of bank routing and accounting numbers for direct deposit (voided check, bank statement or other document from your bank showing your bank routing and account number)
Income statements or forms:
- New for 2022: Advanced Child Tax Credit notice (Letter 6419)
- New for 2022: Third Economic Impact Payment notice (stimulus) (Letter 6475)
- Wages from each job (W-2)
- Interest (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
- Retirement plans (Form 1099-R)
- Gambling winnings (Form W-2G)
- Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
- Social Security benefits (Form SSA)
- Year-end income statements from MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veterans’ benefits and workers compensation
- Education expenses* you paid for your children in grades K-12 (e.g., tutoring, rental/purchase of instruments, music lessons, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Tuition expenses you paid to attend a university or technical college (Form 1098-T)
- Interest you paid on student loans (Form 1098-E)
- Day-care expenses you paid for your children; bring provider’s name, address, tax ID or Social Security number
- Charitable donations of cash or non-cash
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid in 2021 (Form 1098) and statement of property tax payable in 2022 mailed by the county in March
- Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord
Health Insurance Forms:
- Form 1095-A if you or your dependents received health insurance through the national or state health insurance marketplace.
*You may be eligible to claim the K-12 education subtraction and/or education credit. Learn more.
White Earth Investment Initiative wants you to be its next tax volunteer.
Why You Should Volunteer
- To increase your own understanding of tax law
- To provide a free service to low- and moderate-income taxpayers
- To serve your community
- To meet new people
- Participate in in-person, virtual, and/or self-study sessions about tax law
- Pass the IRS volunteer exam
Volunteers are reimbursed for their travel miles.
Here’s what a few tax volunteers have to say about the free tax services from White Earth Investment Initiative: “We’re always looking for more volunteers. Taxes are fun!” – Dorothy, volunteer “It is enjoyable spending time with other volunteers, getting to know new people and knowing how much people appreciate the service.” – Amber, volunteer “You don’t have to be a tax expert.” – John, volunteer